Weld Technician/Formet Indutries/St-Thomas, ON
Full-Time • Kirkland Lake Region
This position is responsible for ensuring Formet and Customer quality requirements are met by identifying and providing input to resolve welding concerns.
- Post-secondary education – completion of Welding Technologist/Technician Course from a Community or recognized college consisting of two years or more.
- Some experience with manual Gas Metal Arc Welding.
- Practical experience with industrial robots.
- Understands PPAP requirements is an asset.
- CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills.
- Computer skills.
- Problem solving.
- Business Operating System.
- Quality System.
- Customer Specific Requirements.
- Welding Metallurgy.
- Basic GD&T.
- Fundamental NDE techniques.
- GMAW, Projection and Resistant Welding.
- Basic IATF 16949.
- Measuring equipment (micrometers, calipers, indicators and height gauges).
- Work well in a team environment or individually.
- AIAG Core Tools.
- Problem Reporting System.
BACK UP POSITION:
Other Weld Technicians.
Weld Engineering Coordinator.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and
- Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
- Support the WEC’s on new and existing programs.
- Troubleshoot Weld Systems and Robotic Equipment to resolve welding related issues.
- Generating and upkeep of welding-related documentation, and audit as required.
- Maintain a sound understanding of customers’ product and engineering specifications.
- Use technical understanding of the welding processes and weld quality standards to ensure
- that weld quality is being upheld to customer requirements.
- Complete shift report for Team regarding issues encountered on shift for communication and
- direction for following shifts.
- Provide technical support to Manufacturing Services to help problem solve weld process
- Support program launches in-house and off-site to ensure Formet’s Quality Standards are
- being met and in order to achieve optimal weld quality.
- Support pre-production buy-offs for welds when required.
- Buy off of the First-Off / Mid-Off processes, and set up verifications to ensure it is being
- done correctly.
- Initiate and coordinate problem reports and containments.
- Establish, maintain and implement welding parameters to support production and Quality
- Conducts weld inspection and analyze weld data, generate reports.
- Be an additional resource for Robotic weld touchups.
- Archiving and supporting Paxit system set up and training.
- Be dedicated to generating Weld PPAP packages when required.
- Participate as a Team Member with effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Assist in problem investigation and root cause determination.
- Participate in Product, System and Process Audits, including CSRs, as required.
- Audit and approve Special Material Requests and reworked material when required.
- Assist in the training of production personnel in all weld quality requirements when required.
- Attend and / or Champion quality meetings when requested.
- Take initiative to follow through on completion of tasks / projects, PCR’s and weld-related
- GROW ideas.
- Cover for the other Weld Technicians if he/she is absent.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency to achieve results.
- Perform other duties as designated.
- Quality Weld Technician.
- EQUIPMENT AND/OR PRODUCT:
- Departmental Equipment
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to work shift work.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
SAFETY AND HOUSEKEEPING:
- Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
- Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
- Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
- Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
- Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
As with Safety, Security is everyone’s
responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements.